Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Got a Question?

Question:

Hi Jim,


    I need you to settle a friendly dispute between friends.

    Re the weather the last few weeks with all the U.S. mid east storms, my friend says it is due to the warm, moist winds coming off the Pacific Ocean.  Causes El Nino , etc.

    I thought i heard you or Reif or one of our weather men on TV that it was due to the warm, moist winds coming out of the Gulf.

    Is it from the Pacific or the Gulf of Mexico?

    I need your expertise.

    Thank you.


Answer:

I can give you an answer that makes you both right.  In this El Nino Winter pattern Pacific Ocean moisture brings more rain to California, but it is the Gulf moisture that feeds the weather system that produces the snow in the NE US and the rain here in SW Florida.

--
Jim Farrell, CBM
Chief Meteorologist
WINK-TV
Ft. Myers, Fl. 33993
239-338-4368

Blog Archive